Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, or COPD, refers to two types of respiratory illnesses – chronic bronchitis and emphysema. COPD is characterized by obstruction to airflow that interferes with normal breathing.
It is the third leading cause of death in America and smoking is the primary risk factor. Other risk factors include exposure to air pollution, second-hand smoke and occupational pollutants.
One of our A+ carriers takes an aggressive approach to underwriting and has a crediting program available that could help get more favorable offers on this impairment.
Take a look at this COPD case study:
- 55-year- old male
- Applying for $750,000 of Term coverage
- Diagnosed four years ago with COPD
- Non-tobacco user for the past five years
- Treated and compliant with low dose of bronchodilators
- Pulmonary Function Test shows FEV1 at 73% (normal is above 80%)
Initial assessment is Table 2
Medical and non-medical credits given for:
- Good cholesterol/HDL ratio
- Net worth greater than $1,000,000
- Favorable family history
- Regular preventative care
- Minimal alcohol use
After credits, underwriting decision is: STANDARD!
You can breathe easier on your COPD cases! Call the CPS Underwriting Team to help get the best possible offers on all your impaired risk cases.